Israeli Military Announces ‘Crush and Cleanse’ Strategy as Israel Pushes Deeper into Gaza

Written by Asger Risom

Apr.02 - 2025 9:33 AM CET

News
Shutterstock
Shutterstock
Defense Minister says large areas will be seized and turned into “security zones” amid growing international concern

Trending Now

TRENDING NOW

Israel’s military operation in Gaza is entering a new and escalatory phase. On Wednesday, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz confirmed a major expansion of ground operations in the enclave, with the goal of occupying “large areas” that would be incorporated into Israel’s so-called security zones, as reported by Digi24.

The operation will also involve what Katz described as a “large-scale evacuation” of Gaza’s civilian population from combat zones. No additional details were offered about the timing or logistics of this displacement.

According to Katz, the aim is to “crush and cleanse the area of terrorists and terrorist infrastructure,” with expanded territorial control a key component. Residents of Rafah, in southern Gaza, have already been ordered to evacuate northward, marking a possible precursor to further incursions.

Growing Death Toll and Humanitarian Crisis

Israeli airstrikes overnight killed at least 17 people in the southern Gaza Strip, including women and children who had taken shelter after fleeing previous attacks. Strikes also hit central Gaza, with casualties reported by local hospitals.

The renewed assault follows Israel’s decision to end a two-month ceasefire with Hamas. Since then, the death toll has continued to climb, with hundreds of Palestinians killed and the United Nations warning of rapidly depleting food supplies.

The offensive is being directed by Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir, the Israeli military’s newly appointed and reportedly more aggressive chief of staff.

Military planners have been preparing for this escalation for weeks, with some proposals envisioning a prolonged occupation and counter-insurgency campaign that could last for years.

Hostage Families Voice Outrage

The announcement has triggered backlash within Israel itself. The Israeli Hostage Families Forum expressed “horror” upon hearing news of the expansion, demanding clarity from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Katz, and General Zamir.

“We want to know how this serves the objective of bringing the hostages home,” the group said in a statement. Israel has said it will maintain a military presence in Gaza until the remaining 24 hostages are released, but critics argue that renewed combat jeopardizes their safety.

Meanwhile, Egypt and Qatar continue to mediate a possible ceasefire.

Hamas has reportedly accepted a new Egyptian proposal that includes releasing five hostages in exchange for a temporary truce. Israel responded with a counter-offer, but talks remain stalled.